- Bust:Take your measuring tape round the fullest part of the bust in front, and ensure that at the back, the tape is raised to a level just below the shoulder blades. Measure very close to the figure. Let a finger be the allowance between the tape and the body being measured.
- Hips: Measure round the fullest part of the hips. This is between 20-25 cm from the waist. The waist is the navel area (belly button).
- Waist: Measure round the navel area. Measure close to the figure.
- Back Width: Measure 10-12 cm below the nape of the neck (at the back of the person measured); across this point, measure from end to end. It is usually from one armpit side to the other.
- Chest width: Measure 12-13 cm down the base of the neck ( the bone down the base of your neck, in front, i.e collar bone), then measure across. This is usually above the bust.
- Shoulder: Down the middle of the shoulder from the Neck Point (NP: the highest point of the shoulder) to the shoulder Point (That is, where the sleeve is joined).
- Back length to waist: Take measurement from the nape of the neck, down the centre back (CB) to the natural waist (usually the back equivalent of your navel point).
- Front length to waist: Take the measurement tape from the Neck Point (the highest part of the shoulder) through the highest part of the bust, to the waist (navel point).
- Top Arm measurement: Measure 10-12 cm down the shoulder (from the sleeve joining, down the arm); At this point, measure round; this is usually the fullest part of the arm.
- Length of Arm: Measure from the shoulder (sleeve joining point), down the elbow (make sure the elbow is folded) to the back of the wrist, above the little finger
- Length to elbow: Same as step 2 above, but stop at the elbow.
- Elbow width: Bend the elbow and measure round it.
- Wrist: Make a fist and measure round it, close enough, but not too tight.
For skirt measurement refer to the Basic Skirt Block page by clicking here.
If you appreciate the content on this page, you can support us with a token. Payment can be made via the secured Paystack, just click here.
NB: Reference was made to Natalie Bray’s approach.